Monday, June 29

Faceplace

At least once a day, and often times it is more than once a day, I am reminded of the fact that I was assuredly born in the wrong decade. Don't get me wrong, as a women, and especially as a gay woman, I'm grateful that I live in a time when I can freely be my hyper, nerdy, independent self...but more often than not I feel out of place and awkward in our current century.

There are lots of things that I don't understand about our modern day times...like why there are four-thousand kinds of shampoo, or why we need an automated machine to open a can of tuna, or how someone thought that casting Jack Black in a movie about the first year on Earth was a good or gainful or entertaining idea. But more than anything, the thing that makes me feel the most out of place in our current century is the technology that permeates our everyday lives. For me, technology has always had that cold and unwelcoming feeling and so I never learned how to use it or to become comfortable with it. Frankly, I find reading the paper on actual paper incredibly simple and sweet. I find that the pictures that I've developed on my own hold more value and invoke a stronger emotion than the ones I developed in Kinkos. I find sitting down for an actual cup of coffee with friends more fulfilling than an acronym-infested conversation over a computer screen.

I don't have any of those twitter/myspace/facebook accounts and I have functioned just fine...until now. In 21 days I'm moving and I'm discovering that being able to have four conversations at once could, perhaps, be productive. One of the positive things about a social networking account is that saying goodbye to your not-so-close acquaintances doesn't have to be such a big deal; you can justify your half-hearted farewell with the somewhat comforting thought that you're still cyberly connected. But because I'm not cyberly connected to my not-so-close acquaintances, I'm going on an excessive amount of one-on-one coffee dates in order to say goodbye. And as much I prefer and love the face-to-face conversations, I have 21 days left in Portland and more than 21 acquaintances.

So I guess what I'm trying to say here is that I'm not sure how much time there will be for the blogosphere over the next couple of weeks. I'll try, but my next post might just be from the big city of York.

No comments: