Sunday, October 19

Reading Rainbows


The more you read the more things you will know. The more that you learn the more places you'll go. This brilliant quote is from Dr. Seuss’ book, “I Can Read with My Eyes Shut!” and when I was eight I used it to get out of trouble when I got caught reading with a flashlight in the middle of the night.

Like the good lesbian that I am, I love to read. In the past 10 years I have never left the house without a book, nor can I ever remember a time that I have given someone a present that they could not read. (For all you cynics out there, I stand by the opinion that a book is the perfect present; it is practical, cheap, and shows that you put in some thought.) When I came out to my very conservative and fundamental Christian father, I approached the situation prepared with a handful of books, all from different perspectives, and a PFLAG pamphlet. When my way too young, selfish, and financially unstable friend and her husband got pregnant, I sent over baby books and brownies. And when a young teenager asked me for some advice on her new-found-journey through undiscovered lesbian territory I took her on a field trip to the bookstore.

I rarely find myself proficient enough in a subject to give real, tangible, step-by-step advice, so I redirect people to books by means of my extensive literary knowledge. And when ladies approach me for advice on their new or questioning (or whatever word you would like to use) lesbian inclinations I recommend these three books…

1)"Same Sex in the City" by Lauren Levin and Lauren Blitzer.
This book is a collection of anecdotes categorized by different topics/steps in the lesbian lifestyle while at the same time offering witty and very useful advice. In what often is an uncomfortable, uneasy, and stressful situation in a young girl's (or adult woman's) life, the storytelling approach adds a calming and simplistic warmth to their journey. (The L Word achieves this same feeling through identifiable characters and situations that allow for crying and/or laughter; however, drama will naturally come to said lesbian, she doesn't need to be advised to seek it out.)

2)"Is It a Date or Just Coffee?: The Gay Girl's Guide to Dating, Sex, and Romance" by Mo Brownsey.
Finding a humorous and lighthearted book about girl on girl dating is like finding a gay boy that eats cheese. Lesbians, not to be stereotypical, tend to take the world of dating (or, let's be honest, everything) very seriously and Mo Brownsey's humor and lightheartedness is refreshing. This is the book that will answer all of those classic questions like who pays on a homosexual date or what do I do with my hands when I'm going down on a girl. It is brilliant and offers really good, sound advice. (Sexpert Diana Cage's book "Girl Meet Girl" is just as brilliant, but dirtier; make sure that you know your audience.)

3)"Out of the Past: Gay and Lesbian History from 1869 to the Present" by Neil Miller.
I always recommend that every lesbian, whether you are new to the scene or an old pro, read some sort of gay American history book. It is comforting to know that you get to be a part of a great community and is equally as important to know that people fought HARD and lost a lot. I always recommend this specific book because I respect that he doesn't apologize, rationalize, or downplay the history that the gay community has. (I knew my gay history quite well when I sat down with this book and on more than a few occasions I was shocked and/or nauseated, in the good way, when I read what Neil Miller’s extensive and unique research shows.)

There is a ton of fantastic gay and lesbian literature out there...but, don't take my word for it...

P.S. Did you know that in the original Star Trek:The Next Generation script Geordi LaForge was going to be gay? I read it on IMBD.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Also, you might want to check out "Girl Meets Girl" by Diana Cage--anything D.Cage is worth reading.

Keep up the good work!