Thursday, September 11

Passing Pioneer


Del Martin, the famed lesbian activist, recently passed away at the age of 87. Martin and her girlfriend of 55 years (need me to repeat that... 55 YEARS), Phyllis Lyon, founded the lesbian rights organization, the Daughters of Bilitis, and were the first lesbian couple married in California this year. If you haven't already read what the recent widow wrote about her wife, READ IT NOW...

"Ever since I met Del 55 years ago, I could never imagine a day would come when she wouldn't be by my side. I am so lucky to have known her, loved her and been her partner in all things. I also never imagined there would be a day that we would actually be able to get married. I am devastated, but I take some solace in knowing we were able to enjoy the ultimate rite of love and commitment before she passed."

How fucking sweet is that? If you are a lesbian and you didn't get a little teary reading that, I demand that you fall in love with a girl and move in next door to Sarah Palin.

P.S. I almost titled this blog "Dead Daughter"... Then I realized that, contrary to popular belief, I possess a soul.

No comments: